Friday, June 9, 2017

Bhagavad Gita: 7) Yoga of Knowledge and Wisdom

OM

This page tells the seventh installment of an amazing story occurring in the midst of a battle field, long long ago. I am only re-writing (the translation of) this wonderful story on this blog. Originally written in Sanskrit, the Bhagavad Gita, even though conceived as a religious text, is an entire coded system in itself for any human being (irrespective of cast, creed, sex and religion) to become perfect. While the Bhagavad Gita has been been translated into English by many great authors, I have mostly referred to the version of Swami Chinmayanada Ji. This page - and the 17 others in this series/story - are dedicated, with great respect, to the author of the most amazing book (according to me) ever written, Sage Vyasa.

7. Vijnana Yoga 

1)      SRI KRISHNA:
With the mind intend on Me, Partha (Arjuna) practicing Yoga, and taking refuge in Me, how thou shalt, without doubt, know Me fully, that do thou hear.
2)      I shall declare to thee in full this knowledge combined with realization, which being known, nothing more here remains to be known.
3)      Among thousands of men, one perchance strives for perfection; even among those successful strivers, only one perchance knows Me in essence.
4)      Earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intellect, egoism – these are My eightfold PRAKRITI
5)      This is the ‘lower’ PRAKRITI; different from it, know thou, O mighty-armed (Arjuna), My ‘higher’ PRAKRITI, the very Life – element, by which this world is upheld.
6)      Know that these (2 PRAKRITIS), are the womb of all beings. So I am the source and dissolution of the whole universe.
7)      There is nothing whatsoever higher than Me, O Dhananjaya (Arjuna). All this is strung in Me, as clusters of gems on a string.
8)      I am the sapidity in water, O son of Kunti (Arjuna), I am the light in the moon and the sun; I am the syllable, OM in all the Vedas, sound in Ether, and virility in Men;
9)      I am the sweet fragrance in earth and the brilliance in fire, the life in all beings, and I am austerity in the austere.
10)   Know me partha, as the eternal seed of all beings; I am the intelligence of the intelligent. The splendor of the splendid (things and beings) am I.
11)    Of the strong, I am the strength – devoid of desire and attachment, and in (all) beings, I am the desire – unopposed to DHARMA, O best among the Bharatas (Arjuna.)
12)   Whatever beings (and objects) that are pure, active and inert, know them to proceed from Me; yet, I am not in them, they are in Me.
13)   Deluded by these natures, (states or things) composed of the 3 Gunas  (of PRAKRITI) all the world knows Me not as Immutable and distinct from them.
14)   Verily, this divine illusion of Mine, made up of Gunas, (caused by the qualities) is difficult to cross over; those who take refuge in Me, they alone cross over this illusion.
15)   The evil-doers, the deluded, the lowest of men, do not seek Me; they, whose discrimination has been destroyed by their own delusions, follows the ways of demons.
16)   Four kinds of virtuous men worship me, O Arjuna, the dissatisfied, the seeker of (systematized) knowledge, the seeker of wealth, and the wise, O best among Bharatas (Arjuna.)
17)   Of them the wise, ever steadfast and devoted to the One, excels; for I am exceedingly dear to the wise, and he is dear to Me.
18)   Noble indeed are all these, but the wise man, I deem as my very Self; for steadfast in mind, he is established in Me alone as the Supreme goal.
19)   At the end of many births, the wise man comes to Me, realizing that all this is Vasudeva (the innermost Self); Such a great soul (MAHATMA) is very hard to find.
20)   Those whose wisdom has been looted away by this or that desire go to other Gods, following this or that rite, led by their own nature.
21)   Whatsoever form any devotee desires to worship with faith – that (same) faith of his, I make (firm and) unflinching.
22)   Endowed with that faith, he engages in the worship of that ‘DEVATA’ and from it, he obtains his desire-fulfilments; all these being ordained indeed by Me (alone.)
23)   Verily the ‘fruit’ that accrues to those men of little intelligence is finite. The worshippers of Devas go to the Devas but My devotees come to Me.
24)   The foolish think of Me, the Un-manifest, as having come in manifestation, not knowing My higher, immutable and peerless nature.
25)   I am not manifest to all (in My real nature) veiled by Divine Maya. This delude world knows not Me, the Unborn, the Imperishable.
26)   I know O Arjuna, the beings of the past, and present and the future, but no one knows Me.
27)   By the delusion of the pairs of opposites arising from desire and aversion, O Bharata (Arjuna) all beings are subject to delusion at birth, O Parantapa (Arjuna – scorcher of foes.)
28)   But those men of virtuous deeds whose sins have come to an end, who are freed from the delusion of pairs of opposites and steadfast in wows, worship Me.
29)   Those who strive for liberation from old age and death, taking refuge in Me – They realize in full that Brahman, the whole knowledge of the Self and all action.
30)   Those who know Me with the ADHIBHUTA (pertaining to elements; the world of objects), ADHIDAIVA (pertaining to the Gods; the sense organs) and the ADHIYAJNA (pertaining to the sacrifice; all perceptions), even at the time of death, steadfast in mind, know Me.


Thus ends the 7th chapter of Bhagavad Gita.

No comments:

Post a Comment