Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Bhagavad Gita: 10) Yoga of the Divine Glories

OM

This page tells the tenth installment of an amazing story occurring in the midst of a battle field, long long ago. I am only re-writing (the translation of) this wonderful story on this blog. Originally written in Sanskrit, the Bhagavad Gita, even though conceived as a religious text, is an entire coded system in itself for any human being (irrespective of cast, creed, sex and religion) to become perfect. While the Bhagavad Gita has been been translated into English by many great authors, I have mostly referred to the version of Swami Chinmayanada Ji. This page - and the 17 others in this series/story - are dedicated, with great respect, to the author of the most amazing book (according to me) ever written, Sage Vyasa.

10. Yoga of Divine Glories

1)      SRI KRISHNA:
Again, O mighty armed (Arjuna – Mahabaho), listen to My supreme word; which I wishing your welfare, will declare to you, who delight in hearing Me.
2)      Neither the hosts of heaven, nor great Rishis know My origin; for, in every way, I am the source of all Devas and the Rishis
3)      He who amongst the mortals, know Me, as unborn and beginning-less, as the great Lord of the worlds, is undeluded and is liberated from all sins.
4)      Intellect, wisdom, non-delusion, forgiveness, truth, self-restraint, calmness, happiness, pain, birth, or death, fear and also fearlessness,
5)      Non-injury, equanimity, contentment, austerity, beneficence, fame, infamy – all these different kinds of ‘quality of beings’ arise from Me alone.
6)      The seven great Rishis, the ancient four and also the Manus, possessed of powers like Me, were born of (My) mind; from them are these creatures in the world (originated and sustained)
7)      He, who in truth knows the manifold manifestations of My being (Macrocosm) and (this) Yoga – power of Mine (Microcosm), becomes established in the ‘tremorless-Yoga’; there is no doubt about it.
8)      I am the source of all; from Me everything evolves; understanding thus, the ‘wise’ endowed with ‘loving consciousness’ worship Me. 
9)      With their minds wholly resting in Me, with their senses absorbed in Me, enlightening one another, and ever speaking of Me, they are satisfied and delighted.
10)   To the ever steadfast, worshipping Me with love, I give the Buddhi yoga, by which they come to Me.
11)   Out of mere compassion for them, I dwelling within their hearts, destroy the darkness born of ignorance by luminous Lamp-of-knowledge.
12)   ARJUNA:
You are the supreme Brahman, the Supreme abode, the Supreme purifier, Eternal, Divine Purusha, the God of all gods, Unborn, Omnipresent.
13)   All the Rishis have thus declared You, as also Deva-Rishi Narada, so also, Asita, Devala, and Vyasa; And now the same, You Yourself say to me.
14)   I believe all this that you say to me as true, O Keshava (Sri Krishna); verily, O Blessed Lord (Sri Krishna), neither the Devas nor the Danavas know Your manifestation (identity).
15)   Verily, You Yourself know Yourself by Yourself, O Purushottama (Sri Krishna – supreme Purusha), O Source of beings, O Lord of beings, O God of gods, O Ruler of the world.
16)   You should indeed, without reserve, tell me of Your Divine glories by which You exist pervading all these worlds.
17)   How shall I, ever-meditating, know You, O Yogin (Sri Krishan)?In what aspect of things, O Blessed Lord (Sri Krishna) are You to be thought of by Me?
18)   Tell me again in detail, O Janardana (Sri Krishna), of Your Yoga-Power and Immanent glory; for I do not feel satisfied by hearing your (life-giving and so) nectar-like speech.
19)   SRI KRISHNA:
Alas! Now I will declare to you, My Divine glories, immanent, in their prominence; O best of Kurus (Arjuna), there is no end to the details of My extent.
20)   I am the Self, O Gudakesha (Arjuna), seated in the hearts of all beings; I am the Beginning, the Middle and also the End of all beings.
21)   Among the (12) Adityas, I am Vishnu; among luminaries, the radiant sun; I am Marichi among the Maruts; among asterisms, The Moon am I
22)   Among the Veda’s I am the Sama Veda; I am Vasava among the gods; among the senses I am the mind; I am the intelligence among living beings.
23)   And among the Rudra’s I am Sankara; Among the Yakshas and Rakshasas I am the Lord of wealth (Kubera); Among the Vasus, I am Pavaka (Agni); Among the mountains, I am the Meru
24)    And among the household priests, O Partha, know Me to be the chief, Brihaspati; among generals, I am Skanda; among lakes, I am the Ocean.
25)   Among the great Rishis I am Bhrigu, among words I am the one syllabled ’OM’; among sacrifices I am the sacrifice of silent repetition (Japa – Yajna); among Immovable things, the Himalayas.
26)   Among all trees (I am) the Ashwattha – Tree; among Divine Rishis, Narada; among Gandharvas, Chithrartha, Among Perfected ones, the Muni Kapila.
27)   Know Me among horses as ‘Uchaishravas’ born of Amrita; among lordly elephants, the ‘Airavata’ and among men, the King.
28)   Among weapons, I am the ‘thunderbolt’; among cows I am ‘Kamadhuk’; I am ‘Kandarpa’, the cause for offspring’s; among serpents I am ‘Vasuki’.
29)   I am ‘Ananta’ among Nagas; I am ‘Varuna’ among water deities; I am ‘Aryama’ among the ancestors; amd I am ‘Yama’ among controllers.
30)   I am ‘Prahalada’ among Daityas, ‘Time’ among reckoners, the ‘Lord-of-beasts’ (Lion) among animals, and ‘Vainateya’ (Garuda) among birds.
31)   Among purifiers, I am the ‘wind’; among warriors, I am ‘Rama,’ among fishes, I am the ‘Shark’; among rivers, I am the ‘Ganges.’
32)   Among creations, I am the beginning, the middle and also the end, O Arjuna; among sciences I am the Science of the Self and I am the logic in all arguments.
33)   Among letters I am the letter ‘A’; among all compounds I am the dual (co-ordinates); I am verily the inexhaustible, or the everlasting time; I am the (All-faced) dispenser (of fruits-of-actions) having faces in all directions.
34)   And I am all-devouring Death, and the prosperity of those who are to be prosperous; among feminine qualities, (I am) fame, prosperity, speech, memory, intelligence, firmness and forgiveness.
35)   Among hymns also I am the ‘Brihat-Saman’; among meters ‘Gayatri’ am I; among months I am parts of December-January (Marga-Shirsha); among seasons I am the ‘flowery-spring’.
36)   I am the gambling of the fraudulent; I am the splendor of the splendid; I am victory; I am the industry (in those who aredetermined); I am the goodness in the good.
37)   Among the Vrishnis, I am ‘Vaasudeva’; among the Pandavas, (I am) ‘Dhananjaya’; also among the Munis, I am ‘Vyasa’; and among the poets I am ‘Ushana’, the great Seer.
38)   Among punishers I am the “Sceptre’; among who seek victory, I am ‘statesmanship’; and among secrets, I am ‘Silence’; and I am the ‘knowledge’ among knowers.
39)   And whatsoever is the seed of all beings, that also am I, O Arjuna; there is no being, whether moving, or unmoving, that can exist without Me.
40)   There is no end to My Divine Glories, O Parantapa (Arjuna) but, this is but a brief statement by Me of the particulars of My Divine Glories.
41)   Whatever it is that is glorious, prosperous or powerful in any being, know that to be a manifestation of a part of My splendor.

42)   But, of what avail to thee is the knowledge of all these details, O Arjuna? I exist, supporting this whole world by one part of Myself.    

Thus ends the 10th chapter of Bhagavad Gita.

No comments:

Post a Comment